Wearing Many Hats . . .
I usually get to wear many hats as a wife, mother, and teacher, but today I got to wear the hat of a nurse. My Rachel woke up sick; her temperature was 102. I guess that is one of my least favorite hats to wear, not because of the work but because of the frustration of not being able to find the cause and cure.I've learned a lot about the human body after having been a mother for over 17 years, but still I do not know it all. I immediately listed Rachel's symptoms: temperature of 102, queasy stomach, a sore throat, a post nasal drip but no coughing. Then I think of what may be causing the symptoms. It could be strep throat which is very contagious. Maybe she has a viral infection which will take time to run it course.
After having gone through the symptoms and guessing at the cause, I then began weighing, in my mind, whether or not we should go see the doctor. When I mention that possibility to my patient, she acts as if she's recuperated miraculously. The doctor will take a blood sample. That scares Rachel to death. He will give her a round of antibiotics and various and sundry medicines to mask the symptoms.
The other choice is to keep her indoors, filled with fluids, and try to keep the temperature down. The time for recuperation will be about the same.
Well, I think I'll go to bed and rest on it. I pray that the temperature will be gone in the morning and Rachel will feel more like her old self!! I'll keep my nurses' cap on tonight, just in case I'm called to duty.
Comments