Bridging the Gap . . .

As we were leaving my parent's house to return to Alabama in December, all of us gathered together, joined hands and had prayer. This is a long-standing tradition in my family and it means much to us. As I stood there, my mother's hand held by my left hand, and my daughter's hand, in my right, I was overcome by the reality of my position.

I was the connection between one generation to the next. That may not seem too important to you but the weight of its implications brought tears to my eyes.

I shared with my Sunday School class yesterday that I believe that I'm the most blessed person in the world. I also believe that most of my blessings are because of my parent's life and how they set a Godly example before me.

Mom and Dad taught me the importance of putting God first in my life. They had learned that you are only truly happy when He is first. This was taught through going with me to church, talking about it, but most of all through the example of their lives.

My parents taught me the importance of loving your neighbor as yourself. As I grow older, I see more and more that this is not just for the benefit of your neighbor. You reap more from loving than the recipient does. Praying for my enemy is not just for their benefit. I'm the one who becomes closer to God and stronger because of those prayers.

As I stood, holding my mother's hand, I thought of the responsibility I have to pass on a Godly heritage to my daughters! If I drop the ball, I alter their heritage for eternity, not only affecting them but generations to come.

I want my girls to experience what I've experienced. I want them to have the peace and contentment that can only be found in living for our Heavenly Father.

May God bless you today as you pass the faith along!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beth,

This is a good reminder of how important we are in the lives of others. Frank and I were talking about this the other day. We both realize that we have touched the past, through the hands of our parents and grandparents and we have touched the future through the hugs of our grandchildren. Yes, our actual years in the flesh on this earth is few, but our influence can go on for a much longer time.

Thanks for your insights.
Marcel
Kimberly said…
I am also so aware of the impact of my Godly heritage..how we stand on the prayers of others(I wonder if they become part of our DNA?!)..and how we carry on that legacy in the lives we live!

(btw, did you ever see the letter great-grandma Dupont wrote when she was sanctified?)

Popular posts from this blog

"But . . ."

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .