Light-bulb Moment . . .


Today, I had a light bulb moment, which is surprising.  (The older I get the less frequent they become!)  I realized that I'm becoming like my late grandmother, Mary Melvina Stewart Matthews, and it was the first time that had dawned on me.  I know I'm a lot like my mom but had never really seen a lot of my grandmother in myself.  It's not a bad thing, but I had to warn Eddie who is just coming to terms with my becoming like my mother!  (grin)

My grandmother, for those of you who knew her, was a saint!  There was not a person she did not like, and she had a true servant's heart.  She was one of the most unique people I've ever known and saw things in ways that most people didn't see them.


What triggered my "moment" was the story about "Fred, my grandmother's  electronic clock.  "Fred" was an innovator of his time.  He was a simple looking, 2.5" cube that could be programmed to audibly give the time and date on the hour or every 30 minutes.  You could also set him to only sound when the button was pushed.  "Fred" became Grandma's close companion.  She could get him to talk when she couldn't pry a word out of Grandpa, so I know she developed a close bond with the little box.

One day, Grandma had to go to the hospital for some surgery.  She packed "Fred" in her suitcase and headed for the procedure.  When it was time for her to leave her hospital room, she decided to put "Fred" in a drawer so that he would not become the property of someone else who took a fancy to him.  When she got back to the room, she almost cried thinking about poor "Fred" having to spend time in that dark, scary drawer.  She talked about it often.

Last night, I was in the kitchen cooking and heard the "cute" little redbird, Eddie purchased to go on our Christmas tree, just a chirping.  The thing is supposed to chirp twice when activated by sound or motion.  Our little song bird does not know when to stop!  After about 3 minutes of continuous chirping sounds, I decided that I'd had enough and told Eddie that the bird had to go.  I knew he wouldn't do the deed, so I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I picked up the bird and headed to the back porch.  I then started thinking how dark and cold it was out there and couldn't pull myself to do it.  The bird went back to the shelf, and I went upstairs to bed.

This morning as I was looked at that Dollar Tree, feathered wonder, I immediately thought about Grandma and "Fred".  The light bulb went off.  I'm becoming just like Grandma!

I called Eddie to share my "epiphany".  He agreed with me but said that he'd keep me anyway!  That's good!


*Fred was a gift from my Uncle Harold Matthews to Grandma.  It has to be over 30 years old and still works!  I do have it programmed to only sound when its button is pushed.  The bird is now missing it's perch and feet due to Rachel propelling it during one its singing marathons!  

Comments

Nancy said…
If Aunt Melvinia could read this blog, she would say, "Oh, I'm so unworthy of her saying all that about me!" :) Loved that lady!!
Beth From Bynum said…
I can still hear her in my head! What a precious saint she was. She is missed.
Anonymous said…
Well, I guess that Rachel isn't like you grandmother Matthews:) Kathleen
Beth From Bynum said…
No. Rachel had no compassion on that bird! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

"But . . ."

Life is Precious and God is Good!!