Drifting . . .
Recently, in my hometown, a woman crossed a yellow line in a curve and hit another motorist head on, killing him instantly. Her crime was excessive speed and not being in control. I'm not sure of the details but she could have been momentarily distracted, as most of us have been while driving. She, most likely, will be charged with the death of this young man. We read about events like this almost everyday in the newspaper.As I was reading my Bible yesterday I came across Hebrews 2:1 which states, "We must pay more careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away."
The writer of Hebrews was not talking about safe driving but safe living. He was warning the early believers that they should not become lazy in their Christian Life and drift away off the path that they should be traveling.
My mind went to something I've observed while driving an automobile. As long as I keep my eyes on the road ahead of me, my vehicle stays in that direction. If my attention is drawn to something off the road and my eyes move toward it, so does the vehicle. It's really amazing how that happens. No matter how hard I try to keep my car on the road, as long as I'm looking away from the road, the car veers in the direction of my eyes.
I then thought of this scripture and what could cause a Christian to drift away. Sometimes the causes of our drifting are legitimate things. We get very busy with the everyday cares of life and become tired. The evil one loves to hit us when we're tired, and we start focusing on ourselves and not the Father. It's so easy to drive into the ditch of self-pity which is a waste of time and leads to pain and heartache. Everyday living and surviving can become our focus, and we end up stuck in the mire of problems and burdens.
Our Father wants us to stay on track, but it does take effort on our part. We must stay focused on the goal at the end of the road. If we find ourselves becoming distracted by all the cares of life, we need to immediately get our eyes on the road.
There are a lot of hazzards along the way, but the trip is worth it!! Safe Traveling!
Comments