My Mother's Lap . . .

I was saddened tonight at church when I did a little video project with the kids for mother's day, Sunday. I video taped each child, asking them what they liked about their mother and one little 11-year-old girl could not think of one good thing to say about her mom.

As I thought about this little girl and her mom, I was reminded of how blessed I am to have the mother I have. This little girl's mother spent over a year in a federal women's prison for drugs. This little girl has really never had a mother, and it shows in the anger and bitterness that comes through in this little girl's words and actions.

I must say that I have the sweetest, kindest, most caring, Godly mother in the world. I'll write more about her later in the week but I want to talk about one of her attributes that attracks children - Mom's Lap!!

I can remember being rocked by my mom in an old, slat-backed rocking chair that made the loudest creaking noises that can be made by a chair. I was rocked by my mom until my legs dragged the floor and I thought I was too "big" for mom's lap. But . . . I wasn't.

There was comfort found while sitting on mom's lap. You could cry there and not be made fun of. You could share your joys and victories and mom's warm hug would make you feel that you could conquer the world. You were never pushed away or denied a seat on mom's lap.

I can remember the small children at church fighting over who would sit on Mom's lap. It was a race from the Sunday School class to the pew where Mom sat and then the fight was on!!! Not only did mom give love and comfort to these little children, she also entertained them with her artwork. Mom could draw some wonderful things and the children would sit, spell-bound, during the whole service. She always had a purse full of wonderful curiosities!

Thank you God, for my mother. I'm not sure why I was born to her but You must have a purpose for it. May I try to make a difference in all the little children whose mother's care more for themselves than their own children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .

"But . . ."