Lack of Control - My Nightmare!
Most people's nightmares consist of snakes, criminals, and death. Not mine!! My nightmares usually consist of playing the piano and not being in control of of the instrument. Sometimes I have no music, and other times, the keys won't work. Sometimes the instrument will roll away from me while I'm trying to play, which is very frustrating!This past weekend, I experienced a keyboard nightmare in real time, not dream time. I was asked to play for a wedding of some friends. At the rehearsal I had my keyboard set just the way I wanted it. I really felt good about it. I was in control of the situation, or so I thought.
The day of the wedding I began playing prelude music for the wedding and things seemed to be going well until the "soundman" walked through the back door. It was five minutes before the wedding was to begin and the church was full. I didn't think anything about it, until the sound system started doing crazy things.
Each time I tried to turn down the volume of my keyboard, using my volume control, the soundman would crank it up at the soundboard. This action caused the speakers to roar which went on for what seemed an eternity. I WAS HELPLESS in controlling the situation which was a very scary feeling.
I battled with the volume and the soundman the whole wedding, leaving me very frustrated and upset. When the wedding ended and the sound system was turned off (before I was finished playing) I loaded up the keyboard and left. I could have cried about the whole thing.
The more I've thought about the situation, the more I can see how much I value being in "control." Not only do I want to be incontrol of my musical performances, but I like being in control of my life. Wanting to be incontrol of my music is a good thing. A good musician is the master of the music, but being in control of one's life is not always good.
Letting God take over the "soundboard" of our lives is the way we should live. Handing over control is not always easy but when we learn to let him direct our paths, life is so much better. He knows and sees all; We don't! When allowed, He can orchestrate our lives to be a beautiful symphony, sending up harmonious notes to Him and those in our lives.
Yes, I learned more than one lesson from the wedding experience. Even though not pleasant, I'm a better person for the whole experience. I've also learned that if the soundman doesn't come to the rehearsal, refuse to play until he is EDUCATED!!! (grin)
Comments