How Do You Separate God from Government?

I'm constantly amazed at how a few try to legislate God out of the Law! I personally don't think it can be done. God is Law and when you try to take God out of it, the country, the government, and the people become more law-less and God-less. It leads to destruction and that should be a lesson taught in the history books. History has shown that Governments who force out God, end in ruination.
The sad thing is that only a minority is trying to legislate God out of Government and the majority sit back and let them.
The South is in one of the most serious droughts in our history. Even with recent rains, we are below what we should be for this year, not to speak of the deficit from last year. In November of 2007, Governor Sonny Perdue called for a day of public prayer from the capitol steps and led it himself. Governor Bob Riley of my state, called for a week in July to be designated as "Days of Prayer for Rain" week.
Well, you guessed it. A small group in Georgia came to the rally to protest the prayer. They felt that if the governor wanted to pray it was okay. But to pray as if representing the people of Georgia; that was wrong!
Including God has been part of our Government from the beginning of its inception. George Washington, the first President, declared a "day of prayer and thanksgiving. Harry Truman was the president who established a National Day of Prayer. During times of crisis, such as September 11, the government call the nation to pray.
I was watching the Birmingham news a few minutes ago and saw something that I found interesting. The newly-elected mayor of Birmingham, Mr. Larry Langford, who recently held a prayer breakfast for the City of Birmingham, is now calling for a time of prayer, including sackcloth and ashes!! I'm serious! He's ordered 2,000 burlap bags and will be asking the ministers of Birmingham to hand them out.
MyFox Channel 6 reports, "The Mayor is also moving forward with plans to fight crime in Birmingham. He wants to hold a citywide prayer service, complete with burlap sacks. Langford referenced a biblical passage, where people wear the sacks, put ashes on their faces, and pray. He says he ordered two thousand of the sacks, and plans to ask church leaders to distribute them. Langford hosted previous crime summits, involving African American men and women and then all families."
So far, I've heard NOTHING speaking out against what Langford is doing. The ACLU has been silent (in respect to Larry Langford), and I've heard no negative comments. Does that mean protest groups, such as the ACLU, are finally backing down? I really don't think so. I have a feeling I know why, but my lips will remain sealed.
The fact remains that there still remain those in Government who not only acknowledge the existence of God the Creator Almighty, but also involve Him in the Government. May God have mercy on us all when that ceases to be true.
Comments