Signs of Things to Come . . .

Sunday afternoon as we were leaving church, Eddie yelled at me to look up in the sky. As I lifted my eyes, I saw approximately 20 large geese, flying in their characteristic "V" formation, heading south. I couldn't help but smile because it was the first sign I'd seen this year that winter was getting closer. That makes me happy. The heat of the summer has nearly drained all my energy. I always prefer winter over summer. Now I have a sign.

I remember how excited I was a the sign of my first contraction when I was pregnant with my daughters. Did the pain bring me that much joy? I think now! It was a sign that the process of birth was beginning, and soon I would be holding a precious miracle from God. The sign itself was not enjoyable, but it was a reminder that something better was coming.

Since the fall of Adam, this world and all living creatures have been groaning as the writer of Romans states, "as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time." (Romans 8:22-23)

Matthew 24: 4- 8 uses the same "birth pains" analogy. "Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,[a]' and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains."

Within themselves, wars, rumors of wars, deceivers, famines, and earthquakes are bad things. As signs, they are good because they are signs of good days ahead for the believer. The flip side for the unbeliever is not good news, but the signs are for them as well as the believer. They are a sign to prepare for God's final judgment.

Let's be ready!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .

"But . . ."