When in Rome . . .

Have you ever heard the saying, “When in Rome, do as the Romans”? Well, this morning, as I watched the news, I was reminded of that saying, and it got me to thinking!

This past weekend, the city of Selma, Alabama, was visited by two presidential hopefuls. They were there to help the people of Selma and Alabama commemorate the “Civil Rights March”, and each spoke at different protestant churches. (That is a tale in itself!)

The television report was focusing not on “WHAT” each candidate had to say but “HOW” they said it. Both were speaking in “southern” dialects (accents) or how they perceived the people of the south spoke. My first thought was, “How dumb do they think we are?” Maybe they thought the southerners would think, “Wow, They’re one of us!”

I then started thinking about people I know who do the same thing. When they are around people of faith, who love God and try to live by His standards, they speak the “religionese” language. When they are away from Christians, they take on the characteristics of pagans by how they act and speak. I’m not sure who they think they are fooling. I’m not fooled and I know for sure, God is not fooled. He sees, hears, and knows ALL.

I want to be real, no matter who I’m around. If I can be pleasing to God, it doesn’t matter what other people think about me. I’ve learned that I’ll never be able to please everyone and I shouldn’t try. Pleasing my Father is what’s important. He’s the one that will either say, “Well done, my good and faithful servant” or “Depart from me. I never knew you!” I want to hear the first statement of judgment. Political Correctness won’t matter on that day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"But . . ."

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .