Waste Not Want Not ...
I recently watched a television program highlighting the life of an African Mother who carries things to make a living. On a good day, of carrying heavy things that most American men wouldn't attempt to lift, she might earn $ 0.30. All of her earnings go toward food and education for her children.As I sat captivated by what I was seeing, I was reminded of how blessed I am. I should amend that last sentence to read, "How Bless EVERYONE in America is!"
We waste more each day than most people in third world countries will see in a year. Is it a sin that we waste so much? I'm not sure if I'd classify it that harshly but it could be if I know better and do no better.
I was blessed in being raised by the "queen" of thrift. My mother grew up in a home with no electricity until she was a teenager. The only running water they had was from the trip to and from the well. Clothes were made by my grandmother from four sacks. Food was raised by my grandfather. Mother knew what it was, when growing up, not to have extras. It was something she has never gotten away from.
Because of my mother's ability to live frugally and manage money well, we had her at home with us during our formative years. She was always home to meet us when we got off the bus from school. We never lacked from the needs of life even though there was only the income of Dad coming into the home. We thought we were rich and were so happy.
I am in no way as "Frugal" as my mom, but I've learned a lot from her. It's irks my family that I wash zip-lock bags and re-use them. I also rinse out water bottles and re-fill them and use them until the water starts taking on the "plastic" taste.
I rented a room from a dear, elderly couple while living in Oklahoma. This dear lady had been a pastor's wife for years and had probably lived on a poverty level income many a time. I'd say she took the prize for being frugal. She'd wash the paper coffee filters, hang them up to dry, and use them again! She'd even rinse out paper-towels and reuse them. (I'm not that extreme!)
I'm not sure to what extent we need to go to save and economize but I feel that we all have room to do better. God is going to require much from us since we've been given so much.
I know that it sounds as if I'm rambling, but these thoughts were running through my head.
A Penny Saved, A Penny Earned!!! Have a wonderful weekend!
Comments