We are so Blessed!!
My standard response to people, when asked, “How are you doing?” is, “I can’t complain!” (I sometimes admit that I really could complain but no one would want to listen to me.) The more I think about life, though, the more I’m convinced that no one born in this country has the grounds to complain.I did a little research on the Internet and found these world statistics:
...82% of the world’s population cannot read or write
...In 1999, 2.8 billion people lived on less than $2 a day, with 1.2 billion of them
surviving on the margins of subsistence with less than $1 a day.
...In 2000, 1.1 billion people lacked access to safe water, and 2.4 billion did not have
access to any form of improved sanitation services.
...22,000 people die per day from hunger
...So far this year over 4 million people have died from water related diseases
...So far this year over 9 million children under the age of 5 have died
Are you starting to get the picture? I can go to my pantry or refrigerator, anytime during the day or night and find something to eat. I can go to the water faucet and there is always clean water when I need it. I have clothes to wear and shoes on my feet. I have the freedom to vote in my country’s elections. I have the freedom to voice my opinion without fear of arrest. I have the freedom to worship God openly. I can own and carry a Bible. I have access to more information than I could ever learn at the tip of my fingers. I have access to doctors and medication.
No, I can’t complain. I’m blessed as is EVERYONE born in this country. We have the ability to make choices that can benefit our lives. We can further our education if we’re willing to work and sacrifice. We can rise above our circumstances. It’s our choice. Not everyone in this world is that blessed.
I’m reminded of the statement in the Bible that says, “To Whom Much is Given, Much is Required!” I will have to give an account of my blessings. May I pass along my blessings as God grants them to me.
www.infoplease.com
www.worldometers.info/
Comments