Happy Birthday, Carole!



Today is my sister's birthday. I won't tell you how old she is but she is 9 years older than me. Now you are really working the numbers in your head! If you guessed that she is 34, bless you!!

As I said, Carole was 9 years old when I was born. I've known her all my life and we've shared some wonderful times. After I was old enough to be out of the baby bed, Carole and I had to share a bedroom and bed. That, I'm sure, was a great burden for a teenager. Being the curious little girl I was (and am), Carole had no secrets! The lock of a diary could not keep me out even though I couldn't read it. Privacy was very rare for her unless she left the house.

We had one bathroom in our house and the phone was located just outside the bathroom door, in a little built-in acove that dad had constructed. The phone, when stretched, would barely reach into the bathroom, allowing the door to be closed, giving the caller some privacy. Many of my memories are of not being able to get into the the bathroom because Carole or Randy was on the phone.

Mom and Dad learned to parent on Carole. They had high expectations for her and she always worked to reach them. She was the studious child. We joke about mom asking me to wash dishes and I'd always give her the excuse that I had to practice the piano. Carole was asked the same question and she always had to study!

Carole's ability to walk is a miracle. In 1964, our family had a very car accident and Carole spent a year in a body cast, unable to walk. For a 12 year old, that was very traumatic, I'm sure. God touched her and she was able to regain use of her legs.

When I was 9 years old, Carole left the nest for College and never came back to live. I guess that's when our lives changed. We lived for phone calls and visits from Carole.

Carole and I became friends when I moved to Oklahoma City to attend college. She and I shared a house and had many adventures.

Carole is the best sister I could ever hope for. She is kind, loving, and generous with everyone.

I pray that God will richly bless my sister today! Thank you, God, for sisters!!

Beth

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beth, I agree that you have a wonderful sister. She is also a wonderful cousin. I have great memories of the fun we had together.

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .

"But . . ."