Stop the Senseless Deaths

Last Wednesday a 65-year-old woman from my parent’s community was buried. Today, five days later, her 9-year-old grandson followed her to the grave. The sad thing is that both deaths were completely senseless and could have been avoided.

The 28th of December of 2007 marked the beginning of the grandmother’s long end. She was traveling down a curve-fill road, going at a high rate of speed when she failed to make a curve. She remained in a coma from December 28, 2007, until November 18, 2008, almost an entire year. This was one of those avoidable things which we are all guilty of from time to time. Being in a hurry kills more people each year than we’d like to admit. The crazy thing is that we usually don’t save any time by speeding or rushing around like crazy people.

The grandson, according to police, was playing with a shotgun along with his is 13-year-old brother. I’m sure the Lord only knows what transpired, but the news media has reported that the brothers were “playing” with what they thought was an “empty” gun when it discharged, striking the younger brother in the head. The father of the boys made the 9-1-1 call which tells me he was there at the scene or nearby.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m not advocating the banning of guns, because I believe that we all have the right to defend ourselves and our property. What I am saying is parents with children should go an extra mile to secure any form of firearm from their children. There is no need in them using guns as toys. Why were these boys playing with this shotgun? This was a completely senseless death which could have easily been avoided.

When I hear of stories like these, it makes me more aware of my own behavior. I pray for these families who are grieving today. I also pray that they and others learn that life is fragile and must be treated as such!

Please be careful and make wise choices!

Comments

JudyBug said…
Just saw your post about this. This was so sad. The grandmother was my housekeeper for almost 10 years. A dear friend who shared our life. No one knows quite as much about you as your housekeeper.

She adored Christmas and would get so excited when we started dragging everything out.

Her heart would just be broken at the tragedy of her grandson. How she adored all of her grandchildren.

She is missed.

Popular posts from this blog

"But . . ."

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .