A Sign from God!

For the second year in a row, our church has hosted a Trunk-or Treat as an alternative to Halloween and have used it as an outreach to our community. This year it was a little more difficult in that we didn’t have as many to help work due to the fact that three families have moved away. Last week I put a lot of time into preparation, and by Friday I was exhausted when we started setting up. I kept reminding myself of the reason we were doing it and that God would reward our efforts.

My job was running the “cake” walk which really was not a cake walk but a “treat” walk. I’d placed all the treats in lunch sacks and stapled them closed. Our pastor’s wife donated two cakes and for some reason I could not put them out with the other treats. Instead, I hid them under the treat table and thought that they would be used later as a back-up prize, if needed.

Our cake walk was fun but the freezing temperature made it a little uncomfortable. By the end of the trunk-of-treat, there were 4 little boys on the cake walk. I called to my assistant to see how many treat bags were remaining on the table. I thought if we had enough, I’d just award them to the boys and let them go somewhere warmer without making them walk in the cold. My assistant called out, “Three Bags!”

Oh no! I turned back to the little boys and counted once more, “One – Two – Three ….. FOUR!” Just as I’d finished counting, the oldest of the three boys looked at me and said, “I don’t need to have a prize.” I thought I’d heard him correctly but asked him to repeat what he’d just said. He repeated it, and immediately I knew who would be getting the special cake!

I called all 4 boys to the prize table and gave the three young ones their prizes. I then reached under the table and came out with the cake. I gave it to the older boy and with tears in my eyes, stated, “Young man, since you were so unselfish and generous, you are getting the special prize! Keep doing what you’re doing!” He grinned from ear to ear and walked away with the cake.

I may never see that young man again, but I know I will never forget him and his act of generosity, and I’m sure he won’t forget it as well. God knew I needed a little affirmation, and I believe that incident was it.

Comments

kayla said…
Wow, what a great story. It's so encouraging to hear about kids who still want to do the right thing.
Thanks so much for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

"But . . ."

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .