"Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day . . ."
Notable children's book author, Judith Viorst, has written a delightful book entitled, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible,No Good, Very Bad Day in which Alexander, the main character, has a day that starts off with a big disappointment and it only gets worse. He loses a toy, doesn't get dessert for lunch, finds out he has a cavity, has to endure "kissing" on TV, and ends up having to wear his least favorite pajamas. Alexander decides that he wants to move to Australia.It's been one of those days around the Shurbutt house. I had to take Sonny to the vet because of strange discharge coming from his eyes. I tried to find out some information on the Internet to see if it was something that called for me driving to Oxford and paying a vet to tell me it was just dirt or if it were something that really needed the attention of a professional. When I mentioned the fact that I'd tried to find a "diagnosis" on the Internet, the vet went into orbit. He spent the whole examination ranting and raving about how bad the Internet was and the people who used it to try to doctor themselves and their pets! Ouch! The Lord really helped me and gave me strength not to pick up my cat and run out of the office. We did find out that Sonny has conjunctivitis, otherwise known as "pink eye" and will have to put drops in his eye 3 times a day for 2 weeks! I walked out of the veterinarian clinic $40.00 poorer and drained from the tongue lashing I'd received from the good old doc.
On the drive home, Rachel and I discussed what had just happened, and I tried to turn it into a lesson for her. She's a peacemaker like me, and when someone behaves in the manner that the vet behaved, it is very upsetting.
After we got home, I decided to read my email. I'd received an email from Anna earlier in the day but hadn't taken the time to read it, which was a good thing. Anna had applied for a leadership school in Washington, D.C. scheduled for February of 2009 and had been told last weekend that she was on the list of chosen C.A.P. members to go. She was advised not to tell anyone until the official list came out, which was very hard for her. She was so excited. Today she received an updated list on which her name was not listed. Somehow the rules had been changed and instead of choosing 3 cadets from each region, they decided to go with who they deemed the 24, best-qualified cadets from the country. She got this news while she was at work, therefore I've not been able to talk to her much about it. I cry every time I think about it. The tears have not been for the lost opportunity but for my daughter who has been hurt and disappointed. I know that God has a plan and a purpose for everything in the lives of those who love and live for Him, and I know that He'll make that known in this situation. It still doesn't mean we won't live in a world of hurt and disappointment.
Little Alexander, in the children's book, is reassured by his mother at the end of the day that everyone has bad day, including the people who live in Australia.
Comments