The Baby Lady

I read this obituary online this morning:

Lettie Marie Holt Freeman, age 84, of Robeline, La., passed away Monday, November 17, 2008, at Heritage Manor in Natchitoches, La. Arrangements are being handled by Blanchard St. Denis Funeral Home in Natchitoches, La., where the family will receive friends from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM Wednesday, November 19, 2008. A short visitation will be held from 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM Thursday, November 20, 2008 at the Friendship Nazarene Church in the Friendship Community. The funeral service will be at the church at 11:00 AM Thursday, November 20, 2008, with Rev. Steve Hunt, Rev. Winston Lowe, and Rev. Gerald Freeman officiating. Interment will be at Lambertown Cemetery in Robeline, La.

Mrs. Lettie was a very loving, caring, and outgoing person. She reached out to many friends and relatives and showed them the goodness of God. She lived a life of service to the Lord and worked in many different capacities in the church. She was a loving and devoted wife. She loved her children and grandchildren very much. She enjoyed crocheting very much; made many dolls, blankets, and afghans for her grandchildren; and was a very talented seamstress. She loved good gospel music as well. She will be dearly missed by her family and friends.

My first reaction was "they forgot something" as I remembered back to the first time I remember seeing Sis. Freeman, as we called her. My favorite place in the Natchitoches Parish Hospital was an "off limits" room with a big glass window. It was located just off of the main foyer of the old hospital. You could look in the window if the blinds were up but were not allowed beyond the door. My first memory of that window was when I was three years of age and my Uncle Harold brought me, Carole and Randy to the hospital to see the new addition to our family, Kevin.

The hospital nursery was not that large because Natchitoches and the hospital were not large. It was filled with little baby beds on wheels and two big rocking chairs. Many a time since that day, I've remembered walking past that big window, pausing and seeing a familiar sight . . . Sis. Freeman rocking a baby. She worked for years in that nursery and probably changed the diapers of half of Natchitoches' population.

It never failed when you paused in front of "the" window, that Sis. Freeman would always have time to give you a big, warm smile. That's how I remember her.

Sis. Freeman spent the last several years being cared for by nurses. Mother would tell me of going to visit her in the nursing home and leaving feeling encouraged and uplifted from her time spent with Sis. Freeman.

I'm not sure if there is an opening in the nursery of heaven, but I have a feeling Sis. Freeman will be needed and a big rocking chair with her name on it will be waiting.

"Thank you, Sis. Freeman, for giving to the Lord! I'm a life that was changed!"

Comments

JudyBug said…
Beth, Thanks for sharing that. I didn't know about Sister Freeman and the babies. I can see that smile now!

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .

"But . . ."