"It's a Wonderful Life!"

During the Christmas season, my family loves watching Frank Capra's movie, “It's A Wonderful Life”, filmed in 1946. It’s one of the classics of all time not only because of the actors but because of the story line.

“It’s a Wonderful Life” is a tale about a man named George who sacrifices his future dreams to keep the family business going, only to lose it all because of his alcoholic uncle losing the payroll. In his desperation, George decides that his family would be better off without out him and attempts to commit suicide by jumping off a bridge into an icy river.

George has the great fortune of being saved from an icy death by his guardian angel, Clarence. As the story progresses, Clarence tries to convince George that people are better off because of his having been born. Despondent George declares that he wishes he’d never been born and Clarence takes him back to his hometown where he’d never been born. It’s one sad tale after another and George comes to realize that he really did make a difference, not only with his family, but with the whole community. He decides that he wants to live, and eventually Clarence takes him back to his family. There is rejoicing by the whole town and the story has a “fairy tale” ending.

Have you ever wondered if your existence makes a difference to anyone in this world? Do you ever wonder how your family, friends, and community would be changed if you’d never been born? Would they be better or worse off without you?

I really hope that my being born has made a positive difference in this world. There have been times when I’ve thought this world would be better off without me.

I know, that I’m here for a reason and do make a difference in this world. The amount of difference that I make comes down to my own choices, attitudes, and actions.

If I choose to live life for myself, I’ll die a lonely, sad, death. If I choose to live the way God wants me to live, living to please Him and being a servant to others, I will leave this world a most blessed person. Not only will I be blessed, but this world will be a better place because of my having been here.

Well, I guess I’d better get to work!

PS We were privileged to meet the little girl (Zu Zu) who is hanging on Jimmy Stewart’s back in the above photo. She is now in her late 60’s and lives in Tacoma, Washington. She was at a Christmas Fair we attended and gave the girls a photo with her autograph. She’s the one who said, “Daddy, daddy! Everyone a bell rings, an angel gets his wings!” Jimmy Stewart replies with his face looking upward, “Way to go Clarence!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .

"But . . ."