Ever Been Called a Prevaricator?
This photo is of grotesque, evil-looking statues called Gargoyles. These particular ones are located on the magnificent Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, France. In 1982, I was privileged to accompany my college choir (who had an appointment) in singing in this wonderful place. (Getting an appointment is very difficult.)It is my understanding that legend states that the Gargoyles were once in the cathedral but were chased outdoors by the Virgin Mary to sit on the towers and ledges and chase off evil spirits. They also serve a practical purpose by being water spouts so that the water, draining from the roof, does not flow down the sides of the cathedral. It's all very interesting but that's Lagniappe (extra) and doesn't have a lot to do with the theme of my blog.
I chose the Gargoyle because it depicts what I believe a lie looks like! We all know that a lie (the untruth) is something that cannot be seen but like a tornado, can cause much destruction in its path. Lies are very ugly, but we've all been guilty of telling them. To be called a liar is another issue, though!
On my last trip to Louisiana, I needed to get 5x7's copies made of some photos I'd edited and given for Christmas Presents. I went into the Walgreen's because it's one of my major photo printing places in Alabama and I've never had any problems with them printing my photos. I had to use the kiosk because dad's internet connection hindered me from sending them via the internet. I'd never used their kiosk before and started the procedure with caution. With the eyes that are located in the back of my head (all moms have them) I could tell that the photo department "expert" was talking with someone she knew and that they were wanting to use the same machine I was using. She came up to me and asked me how long I would be at the machine, and I told her that I only had three photos to print. That seemed to put her at ease until I asked for her help and she saw my photos.
The photo clerk immediately said, "I won't print those photos because they are professionally done!" When she said that it was as if someone had hit me in the stomach with a bowling ball! To make matters worse, she called the store manager and he agreed with her decision. (Do they not train their employees to know what is professional and what is not!?!?!)
Now, let me tell you about the photos. One was taken of Grandma Matthews sitting out in the pasture in front of the old barn. Grandma didn't know what a professional photographer was until the 90's when Olan Mills did a Church Directory for her church! I'd edited the photo and placed it on a back background so that it would fit a 5x7 format. The second one was of my cousin's girlfriend. He'd been given a snapshot of her that had been taken by her sister in front of a mobile home. I cropped it and cloned out some of the background and turned it into a nice 5x7 so that he could frame it. The third was a photo that a photographer had taken at my nephew's wedding. She'd placed all the photos on a disk for the family to make copies of. I'd taken one of Brad and Valerie and placed it on a black background, as I had done with the one of Grandma and had even written their name on the bottom of it. (Look at my photo blog to see them)
I don't want to be accused of bragging, but I do feel that I do a decent job with my photography and editing efforts. I take pride in my work, love doing it and work hard at it. I'm by no means a professional. I should have taken her statement as a compliment, but I took it as an attack on my honesty. She basically called me a liar in front of the store manager and customers.
After trying to convince the clerk and manager of their error, I gave up and left the store. (The Walgreens Store in Anniston printed them for me with no questions asked.)
After the photo incident, my mind went to the story of Jesus, when he was accused of being a Prevaricator, a teller of lies. False witnesses were called in to lie against him. What was his reaction? Well, it wasn't like mine, I'm sure. He stood there, quietly, and took it.
Is it easy to be falsely accused? Speaking from first hand experience I can say, "NO!" Does it give us the right to retaliate? No. In fact, Jesus said to love our enemies and to do good to those who hate us. That's completely contrary to the mindset of humanity but it's what God expects of His children.
I hope that I never have to go through the photo experience again but if I do, I plan to be a little quicker to forgive, love, and go on with life!
Comments