Sowing and Reaping . . .
Eddie and I are the janitors at our church (custodian engineers)! Before we took the job, a good friend of ours had it. She was not in good health, and I knew that the job was sometimes too much for her.Often on Wednesday nights I would go around the church and gather up all the trash and straighten up a little in order to save our friend a little work and time. I don't know if she ever knew who her elf helper was, because I never told her. (Sometimes you do things because you love people and just want to make their life a little better and easier.)
Yesterday, Eddie and I went over to the church to help our former janitor friend's daughter paint in the fellowship hall before we cleaned the church. It took a little longer than we had anticipated, and it was the middle of the afternoon as we tried to finish the cleaning.
I was beginning to feel the pressure of getting the church cleaned so that I could get Anna and Rachel off on a CAP trip. Our friend must have realized we were hurrying and came up to me and offered to vacuum the fellowship hall. Normally I would have thanked her but not have accepted the offer. It wasn't her responsibility. She had a toddler to attend to and things to do at home.
But yesterday, I accepted the offer of help and as I finished the power point for Sunday, the Lord spoke to me. He reminded me of the times I'd helped our friend's mother. He told me, "Now you're reaping those deeds of kindness you did years ago!" I couldn't help but cry at the faithfulness of God and the love of friends!!
Have you sown any good seeds lately?
Comments