Honesty Pays . . .
Last night Eddie and I went out to eat at Cracker Barrel in Pell City, Alabama, while the girls were at C.A.P. We always order one order of breakfast and split it. Last night was no different than times past with the exception being what we ordered.Instead of Uncle Hershel's Breakfast, we went with pancakes and scrambled eggs. I was afraid that it would not be enough for the both of us so I ordered a side order of grits. May I take the liberty to explain to those of you who are not cultured in the cuisine of the south; Grits are just dried, ground hominy cooked into a porridge. They are a southern delicacy and I love them.
Our order came and everything went well until we got our bill. I looked at it and the total came to only $10.00. That was a little less than we usually had to pay so I started reading what they had charged us and discovered a discrepancy. They had left out my cup of coffee and grits.
We decided to tell the cashier as we got ready to pay. We didn't think it would not be a problem to add a cup of coffee and order of grits to our bill. Well . . . WRONG!!! When we explained this situation, the cashier looked shocked as she turned to asked her fellow cashier what she should do. After some discussion, they got on the intercom and called the manager!!!
The manager cames up to the front of the store and asked us what the problem was. When we explained the dilemma, she stopped cold in her tracts and looked at us with a dazed, deer in the headlights, look. She gained her composure and thanked us for being so honest. She ended up adding the coffee to the bill (it was the most expensive of the two) and gave us the grits.
After we got in the van, we could not help but discuss the experience we'd just shared. Eddie stated that he believed God would honor our honesty and I quickly reminded him that God already had. We are so blessed and it's all because of God, not us and what we have and haven't done.
Honesty does Pay!!!
Comments