My Rights . . .

I had a "light-bulb" moment a couple weeks ago that has changed my life. I was "stewing" about a situation where two sides had opposing views. As with most people, I have strong convictions and ideas and have been guilty to trying to force them on others. It's always been very hard for me to admit that "MY WAY" may not always be the "RIGHT" way.

This enlightening moment happened when the Lord spoke to me and said, "Is this matter worth losing a friendship over? Is it something that will matter in 100 years?" Of course it wasn't and won't. In fact the matter at hand was very minor compared to the major problems that most people face in this world. The next statement that came to me was, "Give up your rights to be 'Correct' about this matter and don't say anything." Be quiet?? Beth, be quiet??? Some would say that it wasn't possible or natural!

Now I know that most people in the world would say that not standing up for ones rights and opinions is a weak, cowardly stance to take and would not respect it. I, on the other hand, thought it was very strong and I felt so free at that moment. With the Lord's help, I had the control over my own actions, attitudes, and reactions. I felt very strong having the control.

As a totally committed child of God, I give up my rights and take on His rights. Jesus taught that in order to gain all, you must lose everything. In order to be great in Heaven, one must be a servant on earth. It's not a popular concept, but it's a required way of life if one wants to make Heaven his home. Jesus lived that lifestyle, and taught His disciples, by example, to live it.

There is a right way and it's God's way!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is a lesson that I need to learn as well. It is a tough one, but a good one. Thanks for the reminder!

Popular posts from this blog

"But . . ."

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .