What? No Ministry???

I was taken back one Sunday when I asked my Sunday School members to raise their hand if they knew their ministry. I'm not sure if anyone raised their hand and that surprised me since I know that several of them have ministries and do a great job with them. The problem lies in knowing and understand what a ministry is.

It seems that most people have the misconception that only ministers and missionaries have ministries. The fact that ministers and missionaries have ministires is true but I believe that God calls ALL believers to seek, find, and do a ministry.

Seeking, Finding, and doing is where the problem lies. One of my class members said, "I can't do anything!" I wanted to yell what I hear from the younger generation's lips, "NOT!" Everyone, no matter what age or condition, can do SOMETHING to minister to others.

Ministry is helping others see the Love of Jesus in our lives and encouraging them to be more like Him. That's all it is! Pretty simple, I'd say, but we like to make it difficult and hard so that we can avoid doing what God would have us do.

Since I've defined "Ministry" as I see it, lets go a little further and see how it applies to all believers.

God calls us all to be Disciples or as the Bible states, "Fishers of men"! The analogy of the fish is a little off, in my opinion. Being "caught" for a fish is not a good thing. It's the beginning of the end for him. Being "caught" by the Lord is a good thing and is the beginning of the never-ending life of freedom in Christ. I don't believe that it's our job to catch and clean "fish-people!" God wants us to be the fishing pole. He uses His love and compassion, in our lives, as the bait. All we have to do is be willing and available to His call.

"I can't preach or play the piano. What can I do as a ministry?" you ask. Well, I'm glad you asked because I'm going to tell you!

One of the most important ministries we can have is a prayer ministry. All believers should be doing it as part of their spiritual habit. Does that mean you must pray for everyone, all the time? No, but I've found this to be a good practice; When the Lord brings someone to my mind, whisper a prayer for them. I woke up with someone (I hadn't thought of in years) on my mind one morning this week, and I took a few moments to pray for that person. Sometimes it is good to let the person know you've prayer for them either by a phone call, email, or note. It is so encouraging to know you've been prayed for by someone.

Another way to find your ministry is to write down all your talents and abilities. Use that list and see how you can use your talents to minister to others. My mother is a good example of this. She makes the best yeast rolls that you'd ever taste. She uses that ability to minister to the sick, shut-in, and discouraged people in her community. The rolls are delicious and enjoyed by all, but the important thing is that the recepient knows my mom cares for them and so does God.

Does one ministry stay the same all the time? I don't think they do. I believe that with the passage of time and with the different chapters of our lives, our ministries will change. I know a dear man who volunteers at his local hospital now that he's retired. He could not do that on the same level while still in the work force.

I also believe that our ministries can vary from day to day. A ministry can be as small as giving someone a smile to an on-going focus. The main thing is that we stay tuned to God and obedient to His voice. When He speaks, we need to listen and then be obedient. The joys of ministering to others are immeasurable. God only knows the number of apples in a seed!!!

If you've not found your ministry, I pray that you will seek God's will for your life in this area. He will if you ask Him!

Beth

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"But . . ."

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .