Hoarders: Is There Hope?
I'm sure this may come as a surprise to you, but one of my favorite shows on television is the reality show called "Hoarders". However, it is not shared by my family, and I have to leave the room where they are and find another room in order to watch it. Some may think it strange that I enjoy this show, considering how nice, quiet, and well refined I am (stop laughing), but it fascinates me and on some levels I feel that I can relate to the people featured on most episodes.
I was raised by a wonderful mother who grew up very poor during the depression years. Her family saved everything out of necessity, from aluminum foil (when they could get it) to used nails. I remember my grandpa having a bucket of old rusty nails sitting on the back porch and that's why. Those things were rare and hard to come by. Who knows, you might need it!
My mother has always kept a neat well orderly house, but she has lots of things which we'll one day have to go through! (groan) They all have sentimental attachments for the most part. Some belonged to my grandparents. Some were given to her by children and grandchildren and others are just things that you might need one day!
In the show, the people who are featured have gone to extremes with their hoarding which includes trash, collectibles, books, clothing, and even rodents. They have gone so far in their addiction that it has become a hazard to their health and well being and is affecting others. Many have visible mental issues. You must have a problem when you have trouble throwing away spoiled and rotten food! You are disturbed when you cry over 600 large rats being taken away from you house to be "rehabilitated" and sold.
In watching the show, I've seen a very common theme. The stuff that is being hoarded, even if it's unhealthy, gives the hoarder a deep sense of love, security, and pleasure. If it didn't, most likely they would not practice the behavior. Many of them sleep surround by trash. It's almost becomes a "womb" to them when they curl up in a fetal position, with just enough room for their body. Some have a false notion that their "stuff" is worth much financially and they can sell it and be secure. Some even treat their possessions as friends and companions, carrying on conversations as if the objects were animate.
The show goes into a step-by-step process that has to be done in order to get the hoarder to agree with the cleaning-up and removal process. It also offers counseling during the episode and follow-up treatment when the cameras are all gone. Some hoarders do great and continue with the counseling, learning behavioral mechanisms to help them fight their compulsions. Others agree to the temporary clean-up, but refuse the counseling and are quickly back in the same shape they were in before the show.
As Christians, if we're not careful, we can become like these hoarders. We can hold on to every negative word said to us, every pain inflicted upon us by someone else, all the disappointments we've experienced and eventually distance ourselves from those who love us, those that we could love, and most tragic of all, God. "But Beth, you just don't know how hurt I've been? You don't know what that person did to me. If I forgive and try to forget, I become vulnerable to being hurt again."
Like most of you, I've had hurtful things said to and about me. I've been disappointed by people and circumstances. We all have, and if we're truthful we may have been on the giving side of that at one time. In order to live life free of anything that make me unlike Christ, I must ask Him to come in and clean up all that trash that I like to "hoard" and fill me with His love, forgiveness, grace, and mercy. It is then and only then that I can be the vessel He can use to pour out His love upon others.
The next time you're tempted to "hoard" some self-pity, hatred, and bitterness, remember that Jesus offers a 24/7 removal service. All you have to do is call out to Him, and He'll be there!
I was raised by a wonderful mother who grew up very poor during the depression years. Her family saved everything out of necessity, from aluminum foil (when they could get it) to used nails. I remember my grandpa having a bucket of old rusty nails sitting on the back porch and that's why. Those things were rare and hard to come by. Who knows, you might need it!
My mother has always kept a neat well orderly house, but she has lots of things which we'll one day have to go through! (groan) They all have sentimental attachments for the most part. Some belonged to my grandparents. Some were given to her by children and grandchildren and others are just things that you might need one day!
In the show, the people who are featured have gone to extremes with their hoarding which includes trash, collectibles, books, clothing, and even rodents. They have gone so far in their addiction that it has become a hazard to their health and well being and is affecting others. Many have visible mental issues. You must have a problem when you have trouble throwing away spoiled and rotten food! You are disturbed when you cry over 600 large rats being taken away from you house to be "rehabilitated" and sold.
In watching the show, I've seen a very common theme. The stuff that is being hoarded, even if it's unhealthy, gives the hoarder a deep sense of love, security, and pleasure. If it didn't, most likely they would not practice the behavior. Many of them sleep surround by trash. It's almost becomes a "womb" to them when they curl up in a fetal position, with just enough room for their body. Some have a false notion that their "stuff" is worth much financially and they can sell it and be secure. Some even treat their possessions as friends and companions, carrying on conversations as if the objects were animate.
The show goes into a step-by-step process that has to be done in order to get the hoarder to agree with the cleaning-up and removal process. It also offers counseling during the episode and follow-up treatment when the cameras are all gone. Some hoarders do great and continue with the counseling, learning behavioral mechanisms to help them fight their compulsions. Others agree to the temporary clean-up, but refuse the counseling and are quickly back in the same shape they were in before the show.
As Christians, if we're not careful, we can become like these hoarders. We can hold on to every negative word said to us, every pain inflicted upon us by someone else, all the disappointments we've experienced and eventually distance ourselves from those who love us, those that we could love, and most tragic of all, God. "But Beth, you just don't know how hurt I've been? You don't know what that person did to me. If I forgive and try to forget, I become vulnerable to being hurt again."
Like most of you, I've had hurtful things said to and about me. I've been disappointed by people and circumstances. We all have, and if we're truthful we may have been on the giving side of that at one time. In order to live life free of anything that make me unlike Christ, I must ask Him to come in and clean up all that trash that I like to "hoard" and fill me with His love, forgiveness, grace, and mercy. It is then and only then that I can be the vessel He can use to pour out His love upon others.
The next time you're tempted to "hoard" some self-pity, hatred, and bitterness, remember that Jesus offers a 24/7 removal service. All you have to do is call out to Him, and He'll be there!

Comments