Continuing the theme . . .


I guess you could say I’ve been inspired by the last blog about the woman becoming a prisoner in her own bathroom for two years. My mind is coming up blank on anything else noteworthy to write at the moment, so I will go with what’s there!

If I could say I have a hang-up about anything, it would have to be toilet paper! I’d let the cabinets be bare of food before I’d let the linen closet be found without toilet paper. I keep a month’s stock on hand and don’t even like to think about running out of the prized paper.

I wish that I had $1.00 for each roll I’ve replaced at our house. For some reason, even after educating the offspring and husband, they do not know that a new roll replaces the empty one on the toilet paper holder. If you visit my house, you’ll find two TP holders in the main bathroom. I did not plan that, but it’s worked out well! My mother bought me a free-standing holder to match the hand towel holder I bought. There is always paper available in that bathroom.

There is nothing worse than being in need and not having the soft, white two-ply paper. When that rare occasion happens at our house, a scream comes resounding through the house, “I need some paper!” It’s the only paper that gets that type of reaction.

I’m sure that there are many funny stories associated with toilet paper, but one stands out in my mind that I’ll share with you. My brother Randy, a Nazarene Pastor in Texas, once pastored a young man who made a deep impression upon Randy and his family. I will not mention his name lest I get sued. (I doubt that he reads this blog, but with my luck it would get back to him!) Each time he came to visit the parsonage, he’d go to the bathrooms, take the toilet paper off the rolls, and place it somewhere else. It never failed. I’m not sure if he didn’t know how to pull the paper off the roll while it was in the holder or if he felt that he was setting it free. For some reason, he had a hang-up with the paper being in the holder. I wonder if he is still vandalizing bathrooms or if he married someone who “educated” him on bathroom etiquette.

If you run out of things for which to be thankful, put Toilet Paper on your list. Can you imagine life before it? People had to use grass, leaves, fur, shells, or corncobs. The ancient Greeks were said to have used stones and pieces of clay. The Romans used sponges on the ends of sticks, kept in jugs filled with salty water, and Mideasterners used their left hands, which to this day is considered unclean and you’d never shake hands with the left hand.

Sears and Roebuck catalog, along with the Farmer’s Almanac s were often used by Americans. In fact, the Farmer’s Almanac had a hole in it so that it could be hung on a hook and the pages torn for use as toilet paper.

The first packaged toilet paper produced in the United States was by Joseph C. Gayetty of New York, in 1857. He was a little before his time in that he produced paper that had pre-moistened flat sheets, medicated with aloe. It is said that Scott Paper Company started producing toilet paper in 1879 but would not place their names on the product due to the sensitivity of the subject.

In 1935 Northern Tissue started advertising “Splinter-Free” toilet paper. Now that is something to think about. Another fact that I was unaware of was the great toilet paper shortage of 1973 in our country. It totally slipped by me, but I did lead a sheltered life!

It is said that the Pentagon goes through 666 rolls of paper a day! I’d have a hard time keeping them stocked. To make matters worse, in 1996, President Clinton passed a law on toilet paper, taxing each roll 6 cents and increasing the price of the product to 30 cents per roll. The price of toilet paper has not been this costly since the Desert Storm War in 1990. Just think what Hillary will do if she gets elected. I’m fearful! (grin)

So, the next time you go into your office to meditate, glance over at the roll of Charman an thank the Lord for this BLESSING!!!

Comments

Kimberly said…
That story is hilarious!!

I buy TP w/ a grudging attitude...I feel like that $ is such a waste..I've even been guilty of encouraging others to use less! Oh, the "Hangups" we have!:)
Beth From Bynum said…
You wouldn't believe the amount of toilet paper two teenage girls go through in a week!!! I should buy stock in it!
Beth

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .

"But . . ."