Corrupted by Power and Money . . .
(I will remind the reader that all are innocent, in the eyes of the law, until proven guilty.)While in college, I traveled as an accompanist with my college's elite choir. Our major job was traveling around to churches on our region to minister in music and recruit new students. Occasionally we were honored to represent our college at other colleges' choral events.
On one such occasion, we traveled to Eastern Oklahoma to a well-known private college. During our free time, we walked around the campus and toured some of the buildings. One building that we visited was the one in the above photo. It is a "prayer" chapel according to the sign, but as I entered, I had a very uneasy feeling. I can't describe it, but I was not comfortable at all.
As our group traveled up the tower by elevator, I was struck by the larger than life image that extended around the inner wall of the tower. It was a enormous photograph of the founder of the college with his arms extended out as if to say, "All who are weary, come to me!" When I came out of the haze of shock, I could not believe what I was seeing. To me it was rather sacrilegious and made me very uneasy.
Now, the son of the founder of the college is under investigation for misuse of power and money. I'm not here to judge him. God and the courts will do that. I'm here to say that as Christians, we must be careful to keep our eyes on God and our feet on the straight and narrow. The evil one is out to destroy all he can find. Our lives touch more people than we are aware of.
Comments