Give Me the Beat Boys . . .
A week ago today, a little friend of mine had a birthday. I didn't get to tell him "Happy Birthday" or even send him a card because I've not seen him since his mom was arrested for operating a Meth Lab. He, along with his two sisters, were taken by DHR and placed in the home of an aunt who lives out of town.
My Little friend's photo is on my refrigerator and I whisper a prayer for him each time I see it. He started coming to church on the van and quickly captured our hearts. He made himself at home at church and would immediately come out of his shoes when he walked in the door.
I was reminded of my little friend one day last week while driving down the road. The radio started playing a Dooby Brother's song, "Give Me The Beat Boys" and a smile came across my face.
We sometimes have a fifth Sunday singing at church. On the way to church one Sunday afternoon, my little friend's sister were talking about what they were going to sing at church that night. My little friend said he was going to sing too! When asked what his selection was, he burst out singing. . . . "Give me the beat, boys, and free my soul . . . " My friend Meg (who passed away in May) told him that the song he was singing was not appropriate for church and that he'd have to pick another song. That made him very unhappy and he proceeded to pout.
Well, the time came for the children to get up and sing. My little friend did not want to sing with the other children but was compelled to do so. They all sang the old stand-by, "Jesus Loves Me" and after they had sung the last note, my little friend, having held back as long as he could, grabbed the microphone and belted out (at the top of his lungs) "Give me the beat boys!!"
We all got a big kick out of that Fifth Sunday Singing and Pastor Bill was able to find some spiritual implications of my little friend's song. Everyone went away from the service with a smile on their faces and humming the Dobby Brother's Song.
I pray that one day my little friend, wherever he is, will sing the song of repentance and God will free his soul! God knows where he is and knows his name!!
Comments
Day after day I'm more confused
So I look for the light in the pouring rain
You know that's a game that I hate to lose
I'm feelin' the strain, ain't it a shame
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
Beginning to think that I'm wastin' time
I don't understand the things I do
The world outside looks so unkind
I'm countin' on you to carry me through
And when my mind is free
You know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue
The guitar's comin' through to soothe me
Thanks for the joy that you've given me
I want you to know I believe in your song
Rhythm and rhyme and harmony
You help me along makin' me strong
If we believe in the Light in the rain and the joy He brings, what more can we want? Maybe the little theologian had something to sing!
Thanks,
Beth