A Tribute to Oscar Lambert
Uncle Oscar was married to my Grandmother's Sister Novis. He was a very quiet, reserved man, but there was always a sparkle of mischief in his eye. It made you wonder what he was up to or what he was really thinking! Uncle Oscar left this old world for a better one last week. He will be missed by us earthlings, but heaven is rejoicing at the arrival of one its own!
This was written by his oldest Grandson, Brent Little, of East Texas.
Beth
This was written by his oldest Grandson, Brent Little, of East Texas.
Beth
My PaPaw Didn’t Talk Much, but He Sure Said A Lot.
By Brent Little
Much can be said for quietness in this world of constant noise with cell phones, dvds, laptops m3s, blueberries, and cds. My PaPaw understood this.
He loved nature and the animals that God gave us to take care of and enjoy. Besides the spanking he once gave me for disturbing a nest full of baby birds in his front yard, he never told me to get outdoors and enjoy the simplicity of sitting in a swing or picking up limbs from the yard. He just always did it, for as long as I can remember.
I work at break-neck speed every day trying to get from one nursing home to another and usually I’ll get behind someone driving very slowly on a two-lane road. It sometimes reminds me of riding with PaPaw and MaMaw to church, that trip seemed to take forever especially after I started driving. On occasion I would get behind my grandfather as he drove 40 mph down the highway and I would be stuck because I was too scared to pass him. I often asked myself “why does he drive so slow?” After I got older, I realized that PaPaw didn’t always drive slowly. He was usually in a pretty big hurry on his mail route. When he wasn’t working, I guess he enjoyed a leisurely drive. Now, he never told me to drive slowly and carefully and enjoy the trip, he just always did it. ( He won safe driving awards)
It wasn’t that my PaPaw didn’t like speed. He did. He just liked it with altitude and wings. I can’t fully describe the joy and excitement I felt when I got to fly with PaPaw. Those Sunday afternoons flying over Sabine Parish were some of the best days of my life. I remember looking in awe at PaPaw as he guided us safely into the air and back to the ground. I always felt safe with him. PaPaw never told me to find something that I enjoy and take some time for it; he just did it for as long as I can remember.
Sunday dinner after church at PaPaw&MaMaw’s house was always a great time with all of the family together. As soon as we’d finish off the meal you could always find PaPaw in the same spot. Not in his favorite chair watching the game. No, he was always standing at the kitchen sink….washing dishes. Now, PaPaw never told me to help my wife around the house; he just did it for as long as any of us can remember.
Now my PaPaw could never be considered a wealthy man in monetary terms. Working on a Nehi truck and delivering mail will not make you independently wealthy. My Papaw did know how to work. He was a diligent worker whether it was on his job, working as treasurer and Sunday school teacher, or mowing his yard---which he always did and wouldn’t hire it out to his grandsons.
When I moved to Texas 4½ years ago, PaPaw at age 80, helped me all day load furniture into a moving truck. He went home and came back the next day and drove to Texas with me where he spent the day unloading it all. PaPaw never told me to work hard, live within my means, be faithful with my tithes, and help others---he just always did it as long as I can remember.
Now my PaPaw wasn’t a perfect man at all. He had his faults as we all do, but he know Jesus, the Source of his salvation and he spent time with Him daily: early in the morning reading his Bible and praying and then every night on his knees. No, PaPaw never told me to put my faith and trust in Jesus and read His word and talk to Him daily, he just always did it, for as long as I can remember.
Eulogy delivered by David Brent Little (PaPaw’s oldest grandchild) at PaPaw’s Life and Home-going Celebration on Friday, August 11th, 2:00 p.m., Friendship Church of the Nazarene.
Comments