Leaving a Legacy . . .

As is my custom, I’m listening to James Dobson’s radio program this morning and it is on the subject of men leaving a legacy to their children. I’m not a man but I guess I can apply this principle to my life also. I’ve always believed in this principle and after having listened to this program, am more determined to do more for my children as far as leaving hand written letters of blessings and encouragement for them.

The avenue that the program emphasizes is Letter Writing. It encourages men to write letters to their children, telling them things that they would tell them if it were their last day on earth. Wow! That is very thought provoking.

In looking at my own family, I know the things that I cherish the most are the hand written items that have been left by my grandparents. I cherish them because I feel there is a piece of them in the writing.

My Grandma Matthews wrote the way she talked and spelled like wise. I love her cards and letters and when I read them, a smile always comes to my face.

The computer has spoiled us all. It’s so much easier to sit down at the keyboard and send an email than it is to sit down with a pen. I’m not encouraging anyone to stop sending emails but to do some handwriting also.

Our lives are as a vapor, the Bible says. Let’s do today what we would want to do if it were our last day!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beth, it is easier to send an email than to write a letter. You can't backspace an error on paper and it is tiring. But, I cherish the letters Jacob sent from bootcamp and Iraq. And, when email was available to us later on his second tour in Iraq, he asked me to keep writing paper letters. He said it was good to be able to hold them in his hand.
I was also given a box of letters that my dad wrote to his mother during WWII. I was good to see what he was like as a young man. Pres George Bush (41) is a big letter writer. He has published a book of his letters that he wrote over the years. It is a good read. The one where he talks about needing to have another daughter after the death of their 2-year-old to leukemia is heartrending. Kathleen
Beth From Bynum said…
Thanks for your comments. It means a lot to me that you take time to read my blogs.

I know that you'll always cherish Uncle Elvin's letters. You should have copies made and give them as Christmas Gifts to your siblings and children. They would be cherished.

Beth

Popular posts from this blog

"But . . ."

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .