I've not titled this posting because I can't think of an appropriate one to give it. As you read on, you may understand why.As many of you know, my family has the job of cleaning our church on a weekly basis. Rachel and I headed to the church on Thursday of last week to get it cleaned before the busy weekend. We usually refrain from answering the phone because of the types of calls the church receives. For some unknown reason, I answered the phone Thursday and lived to regret it.
I picked up the phone and instead of answering "Church of the Nazarene, how may I help you", and simply said "Hello". The male voice on the other end asked if he'd reached the church, and I replied that he had. He proceeded to tell me that he just didn't want to live any more because of a terrible deed he'd done.
I am not a trained counselor and knew that the caller should be talking with the pastor and not me! I told him as much and gave him our pastor's number. He insisted on talking and I assured him that God could and would forgive anything he'd done as long as he repented, asked for forgiveness, and turned from his sins. He then proceeded to tell me what he'd done, and it was at that point that I knew it was a prank call. I calmly hung up the phone and continued cleaning.
The more I thought about that call, the more mad I became. If he did that to all churches, on a regular basis, how many people, who really needed someone to listen, would be turned down because of the prank calls. I feel that the prankster would be responsible for any harm done as a result of his actions.
I also thought of how cowardly, ignorant, and childish the prank call was. This young man (who I assumed to be an adult from his tone of voice and speech) would have to be uneducated and probably unemployed to have the time to do what he did.
It started to burn me up, the more I thought about the call, but I remembered something that changed my attitude. God was in the room with that young man when he made the call. The young man heard the plan of salvation, so seed has been planted. The young man needs the Lord, and each time I think about the incident, I pray for him. He may live to regret making that call! (grin) I've been praying that God would make him so miserable that he couldn't sleep or eat until he confessed!!!
I don't know why I picked up the phone. I won't do it again, and anyone who needs to talk with me knows how to reach me. One thin I know, I will pray for the caller each time he comes to mind.
Comments