Great Expectations . . .

The above photo is just that. It was not taken in my house but could have been today! I had to drive the church van loaded with women to a banquet tonight. It was 10:30 p.m. before I pulled into the drive.

I'd phoned ahead to let my husband and daughters know I was on my way home. In the conversation I casually mentioned that I bet they were in the kitchen washing the dishes and cleaning up the mess. In some small way, I felt that if I planted the idea, they would jump at the opportunity to make life a little easier for their dear wife and mother by having the kitchen nice and clean when I walked throught the door.

Our expectations of what we think should happen and what happens in actuality are sometimes worlds apart. That was the case at our house tonight. I wearily walked through the door to be met with the same pile of dishes, joined by a few others, that had been there when I'd left at 4:00 p.m.

I'm beginning to adopt the philosophy of my husband, that I've fussed at him for having. "Don't expect anything and you're never disappointed!" What a terrible philosophy to have but I find in my fatigue, that attitude hovering over me like a thunderhead.

I guess my expectations should be of myself and my own actions, not the ones of others.

I walked into the kitchen, rolled up my sleeves and jumped in. The dishes are washed and rinsed, and I feel better but tired. I guess it won't matter in 100 years but it would have made a difference tonight! (grin)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"But . . ."

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .