Lessons Learned at the Airport

My girls and I recently took a trip to Washington State to visit family. We had the privilege to fly and that is always exciting. In additional to being fun and exciting, it’s always educational. I saw three things that really made an impression on me and I’ll share with you my experiences.
The first thing that happened in the airport occurred at the Birmingham Airport before we took off on the first leg of out trip to Washington. We had acquired our boarding passes and had made it through security to find out gate. We found seats and sat down. We had been there for at least 20 minutes and during that time I’d looked around and studied many of the people sitting around us. (I’m a people watcher!) I noticed this young lady of Eastern Indian descent talking with a light haired well, dressed American man. I was close enough to overhear some of their conversation and discovered that he was a photographer on his way to a shoot and she was in the states on a school visa but would be returning to India. They seemed to really be enjoying their conversation when an elderly (70’ish) woman walked briskly up to them and informed them that they were occupying HER seat! She was very rude in the way that she stated the fact but they were very gracious and simply stood, moved to the next seats and continued with their discussion. She sat her rather wide bottom in her chair and proceeded to rub very smelly lotion on her hands. She was probably 8 feet from where I was sitting but the smell about knocked me out. I told Anna that I hoped this passenger was not going to be sitting by us.
It doesn’t take long to see the character of people come out. The ugly side of their attitude usually shows itself when their space or stuff is invaded. It’s called “Self, Centered, Carnal Focus” and it’s all about “ME!” It’s a sad way to live and one only appears like a spoiled brat when acting that way. It’s not a pretty sight but is sometimes comical! (She sat at the other end of the plane, thank the Lord!)
The second experience happened on the second part of our trip to Washington. We had landed in Houston late and only had 15 minutes to get to the next flight. That was a little stressful since I’d never been to the Houston Airport. We ran as fast as we could and were some of the last to load. Our seats were the last row in the airplane and we were all together on one side. I was so thankful that we made it and gave thanks to the Lord verbally. As I was getting to my seat, I noticed a young, handsome man sitting across the aisle from me. He was talking to a young man in the seat ahead of me and they were talking about the Lord. I thought, “WOW!” I’m in the presence of Christians. This will be a pleasant flight. As I sat down, his attention turned to me. I told him about our mad dash to catch the plane and that I was so thankful to the Lord for our making it in time. He then asked a question that I’ve heard many times. “M’am, If you were to die tonight, do you know where you would spend eternity?” I assured him that I did and then he immediately came back and asked, “How do you know?” I thought that was a little pushy and rude of him but I answered his question to his satisfaction.
About that time, I saw a young black gentleman coming toward us and his seat was right next to the young man who had “questioned” my salvation. He had the largest diamond studs in his ears and I thought to myself, “Man, you are in for a ride!” He sat down, and the young evangelist turned his attention away from me (I was not longer any fun) and started his speech on the newcomer. Well, to make a long story short, they argued all the way to Seattle and it was a miserable trip. The young evangelist pulled out his Bible and started in on the other man. The other man was a royal skeptical. He believed there was a God but believe that everyone was right in their beliefs if they were sincere. He didn’t believe the entire Bible and would not be persuaded. The young man would not give up and continue to “badger” the skeptic. To say the least, nothing was accomplished and the young evangelist left the plane dejected and the other man left angry.
I so longed to pull the evangelist aside and tell him that it would have been much better if he’d just shared his Testimony with the skeptic. He could have told him the difference that God had made in his life and the peace that he now had. He could have asked the skeptic how things were going in his life and after having shown true interested, offer to pray for him during his prayer time. Arguing does not accomplish anything. I left the plane feeling truly sorry for both men and have been praying that the Lord would give wisdom to the young evangelist that the word that was shared to the skeptic, would make him hunger and thirst for the true God. Maybe that’s why the Lord allowed me to be in that situation. I can pray for both!
The last thing that I’m going to share with you is our trip home from Seattle to Houston. When we got to SeaTac in Seattle, we had to go through security. They always ask you to take off your coats and shoes. We all made it through except my dad, Jerry Larpenter. He has an artificial knee and it always sets off the alarm. Well, a guard took him off to the side, pulled out a detector wand and started going over dad from head to toe. It didn’t seem to bother dad at all and he started talking to the guard and got him to laughing and before long they were long lost friends! The guard kept on going over dad from head to toe and I finally figured out that he wasn’t looking for explosives or weapons but he was prolonging his visit with dad. In fact, he followed dad out into the terminal, after the search, talking like old friends! My dad doesn’t meet a stranger and I love that about him!
Airports, although sometimes stressful, are a fun place to visit. Just don’t stay too long!
The first thing that happened in the airport occurred at the Birmingham Airport before we took off on the first leg of out trip to Washington. We had acquired our boarding passes and had made it through security to find out gate. We found seats and sat down. We had been there for at least 20 minutes and during that time I’d looked around and studied many of the people sitting around us. (I’m a people watcher!) I noticed this young lady of Eastern Indian descent talking with a light haired well, dressed American man. I was close enough to overhear some of their conversation and discovered that he was a photographer on his way to a shoot and she was in the states on a school visa but would be returning to India. They seemed to really be enjoying their conversation when an elderly (70’ish) woman walked briskly up to them and informed them that they were occupying HER seat! She was very rude in the way that she stated the fact but they were very gracious and simply stood, moved to the next seats and continued with their discussion. She sat her rather wide bottom in her chair and proceeded to rub very smelly lotion on her hands. She was probably 8 feet from where I was sitting but the smell about knocked me out. I told Anna that I hoped this passenger was not going to be sitting by us.
It doesn’t take long to see the character of people come out. The ugly side of their attitude usually shows itself when their space or stuff is invaded. It’s called “Self, Centered, Carnal Focus” and it’s all about “ME!” It’s a sad way to live and one only appears like a spoiled brat when acting that way. It’s not a pretty sight but is sometimes comical! (She sat at the other end of the plane, thank the Lord!)
The second experience happened on the second part of our trip to Washington. We had landed in Houston late and only had 15 minutes to get to the next flight. That was a little stressful since I’d never been to the Houston Airport. We ran as fast as we could and were some of the last to load. Our seats were the last row in the airplane and we were all together on one side. I was so thankful that we made it and gave thanks to the Lord verbally. As I was getting to my seat, I noticed a young, handsome man sitting across the aisle from me. He was talking to a young man in the seat ahead of me and they were talking about the Lord. I thought, “WOW!” I’m in the presence of Christians. This will be a pleasant flight. As I sat down, his attention turned to me. I told him about our mad dash to catch the plane and that I was so thankful to the Lord for our making it in time. He then asked a question that I’ve heard many times. “M’am, If you were to die tonight, do you know where you would spend eternity?” I assured him that I did and then he immediately came back and asked, “How do you know?” I thought that was a little pushy and rude of him but I answered his question to his satisfaction.
About that time, I saw a young black gentleman coming toward us and his seat was right next to the young man who had “questioned” my salvation. He had the largest diamond studs in his ears and I thought to myself, “Man, you are in for a ride!” He sat down, and the young evangelist turned his attention away from me (I was not longer any fun) and started his speech on the newcomer. Well, to make a long story short, they argued all the way to Seattle and it was a miserable trip. The young evangelist pulled out his Bible and started in on the other man. The other man was a royal skeptical. He believed there was a God but believe that everyone was right in their beliefs if they were sincere. He didn’t believe the entire Bible and would not be persuaded. The young man would not give up and continue to “badger” the skeptic. To say the least, nothing was accomplished and the young evangelist left the plane dejected and the other man left angry.
I so longed to pull the evangelist aside and tell him that it would have been much better if he’d just shared his Testimony with the skeptic. He could have told him the difference that God had made in his life and the peace that he now had. He could have asked the skeptic how things were going in his life and after having shown true interested, offer to pray for him during his prayer time. Arguing does not accomplish anything. I left the plane feeling truly sorry for both men and have been praying that the Lord would give wisdom to the young evangelist that the word that was shared to the skeptic, would make him hunger and thirst for the true God. Maybe that’s why the Lord allowed me to be in that situation. I can pray for both!
The last thing that I’m going to share with you is our trip home from Seattle to Houston. When we got to SeaTac in Seattle, we had to go through security. They always ask you to take off your coats and shoes. We all made it through except my dad, Jerry Larpenter. He has an artificial knee and it always sets off the alarm. Well, a guard took him off to the side, pulled out a detector wand and started going over dad from head to toe. It didn’t seem to bother dad at all and he started talking to the guard and got him to laughing and before long they were long lost friends! The guard kept on going over dad from head to toe and I finally figured out that he wasn’t looking for explosives or weapons but he was prolonging his visit with dad. In fact, he followed dad out into the terminal, after the search, talking like old friends! My dad doesn’t meet a stranger and I love that about him!
Airports, although sometimes stressful, are a fun place to visit. Just don’t stay too long!
Comments