We Survived Camp!
I wrote a lengthy letter to my “blog” this morning and something happened to it. If you see if floating around in cyberspace, please send it back to me!
Rachel and I are back from camp. We got home Saturday night around 9:00. I believe that we are still trying to catch up on our sleep but I’ve just not had time. I hit the ground running once home.
Camp . . . What can I say or I should say, “Where do I begin?” Rachel and I had a blast and are already looking forward to next year. Sleep was a rare commodity but the fun and fellowship made up for it.
I was the only adult in the dorm with 10 campers and two teen counselors. They were in “charge” but you know how that goes. If I had not made sure the girls were awake each morning, they would not have made it to breakfast. I was in charge from 9:30 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. and that meant not much sleep.
We had twin girls whose medicine wore off long before bedtime! The first night I thought they’d never get still. The mattresses were covered with thick plastic and each time they’d flop over, it made a loud crackling sound. Another girl had a snoring problem. I learned that she could snore just as well on her side, with her mouth closed, as on her back. To top it off, there was another camper who talked in her sleep most of the night. I finally located a pair of foam earplugs and was able to get some sleep by Friday night!
The campers were so much fun and well behaved! That made camp so much more enjoyable. They all had a blast and didn’t want to go home. Some came from rotten home lives and camp was a welcomed break from the stress of home. I pray that God will continue to work in their lives and that healing can come through His love. It was also amazing how many children were on medication. The camp nurse had her hands full making sure everyone got their medicine on time.
The campers participated in Bible Quiz, swimming, canoeing, archery, and sling shot shooting. We also had two chapels a day and two Super Book Sessions. Super Book was a fun time. The campers were divided into 4 groups and they competed for points. Power Book is based on games like you would see on Nickelodeon. For example, they had the “Yucky” food relay. Rachel’s team lost that one. She refused to eat the Beet she pulled out of the bag and another little boy threw up the Green Pea Baby Food that he was to eat! When they won a game, they had to answer a question from their Bible Quiz Lesson. That’s how they earned points.
I was the Quiz Director’s helper and also the camp photographer. Having to work in Quizzing kept me from being able to take photos of canoeing and archery. Oh well, I couldn’t be in two places at one time.
I took at least 800 photos and will be posting some of them on my Photo Album site when I get a change.
Now it’s time to get ready for General Assembly.
I’m tired so I’ll call it a night. Love you all!
Rachel and I are back from camp. We got home Saturday night around 9:00. I believe that we are still trying to catch up on our sleep but I’ve just not had time. I hit the ground running once home.
Camp . . . What can I say or I should say, “Where do I begin?” Rachel and I had a blast and are already looking forward to next year. Sleep was a rare commodity but the fun and fellowship made up for it.
I was the only adult in the dorm with 10 campers and two teen counselors. They were in “charge” but you know how that goes. If I had not made sure the girls were awake each morning, they would not have made it to breakfast. I was in charge from 9:30 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. and that meant not much sleep.
We had twin girls whose medicine wore off long before bedtime! The first night I thought they’d never get still. The mattresses were covered with thick plastic and each time they’d flop over, it made a loud crackling sound. Another girl had a snoring problem. I learned that she could snore just as well on her side, with her mouth closed, as on her back. To top it off, there was another camper who talked in her sleep most of the night. I finally located a pair of foam earplugs and was able to get some sleep by Friday night!
The campers were so much fun and well behaved! That made camp so much more enjoyable. They all had a blast and didn’t want to go home. Some came from rotten home lives and camp was a welcomed break from the stress of home. I pray that God will continue to work in their lives and that healing can come through His love. It was also amazing how many children were on medication. The camp nurse had her hands full making sure everyone got their medicine on time.
The campers participated in Bible Quiz, swimming, canoeing, archery, and sling shot shooting. We also had two chapels a day and two Super Book Sessions. Super Book was a fun time. The campers were divided into 4 groups and they competed for points. Power Book is based on games like you would see on Nickelodeon. For example, they had the “Yucky” food relay. Rachel’s team lost that one. She refused to eat the Beet she pulled out of the bag and another little boy threw up the Green Pea Baby Food that he was to eat! When they won a game, they had to answer a question from their Bible Quiz Lesson. That’s how they earned points.
I was the Quiz Director’s helper and also the camp photographer. Having to work in Quizzing kept me from being able to take photos of canoeing and archery. Oh well, I couldn’t be in two places at one time.
I took at least 800 photos and will be posting some of them on my Photo Album site when I get a change.
Now it’s time to get ready for General Assembly.
I’m tired so I’ll call it a night. Love you all!
Comments