Cave Dwellers

I've always been fascinated with caves but have never had the opportunity to tour one. After the last several weeks, I really would love to find a nice, secluded cave and hang out awhile from this world, it's problems, and cares.

The Bible mentions caves often and one story that sticks out in my mind is about the time David and his men hid in a cave to escape King Saul who was out to get them. That would be my luck. Just the thing I was hiding from would find me!

In my mind, caves bring up the image of safety, solitude, silence, peace, rest, and many other pretty pictures. As a child, I'd pull the covers over my head and dream I was in a cave. It was such a nice warm, calming place. In reality, caves are usually dirty, moldy, damp, rocky, and scary places filled with crawling and flying creatures that you cannot see until they've landed on you.

David in Psalm 32: 7, acknowledges God as his hiding place. "You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance." He realized that there was no safety outside of God. No earthly cave could offer him the protection that his Heavenly Father provided.

Lord, like the Psalmist David, may I remember that You are my hiding place and even when I'm yelled at, accused of being things that I'm not, ignored, and forgotten, you will give me songs of deliverance that protect me from the ravages of the evil one and give me strength to continue on my journey toward You! I really don't want to be a cave dweller.

Comments

Glenda said…
Your post reminds me of several favorite hymns . . . "He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock . . . and covers me there with His hand."

"Under His wings . . . safely abide forever!"

What would we do without the security and protection that He gives?
Beth From Bynum said…
Thank you for that reminder, Glenda. I don't know what I'd do without His security and protection. He is my ROCK. I trust you are doing well and having a wonderful summer!

Popular posts from this blog

"But . . ."

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .