Valentine's Day!
I know I'm a little late! Valentine's Day was yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to write anything on my blog. Thanks for humoring me!Valentine's Day is a holiday that has been celebrated for hundreds of years, if not longer. It seems that with each passing year, it becomes more and more commercial with the card, flower, and candy industries playing on the guilt of loving husbands and boyfriends! (Anna, my oldest daughter, is not a fan of Valentine's Day for that reason!)
My dad was super at remembering Valentine's Day. It was HIS holiday, and each year he'd go on a mission to find an appropriate card for each of us children and Mom. Not only did he buy us each a very special card, he'd always accompany it with a small to medium box of Elmer's chocolates, depending upon that year's economy. My mother, even though she probably thought it a waste of good money, never complained or fussed at Dad about his annual distribution of sweets and knew that he got more pleasure from shopping and giving than we ever got out of eating the chocolates.
With my getting married and leaving home, dad ended his Valentine's tradition for his children. One era had ended, and I guess he thought it was time to pass on the mantle to his son-in-law. Eddie has done a great job at continuing the tradition, I must say, but I still miss seeing my dad's face as he handed out his Valentine's treats.
Comments