Life is Present but Death is on its Way!
Tuesday night we were awaken by the cries of Anna as she watched our cat have some type of a seizure. We immediately ran to her side and tried to comfort her and the cat. It was a scary time for us.
It may help if I give a little background on this cat. "Little Girl" as she is sometimes called, is a 16-year-old cat. When Eddie and I were first married, we decided to add to our family by adopting a cat. We went to the local animal shelted and started the process of choosing the "right" cat for us. I wanted a cat that looked like "Hoakie", the cat that I'd left in Louisiana with mom and dad, and I found one! As Eddie was walking by a cage of very small kittens, one little kitten kept reaching out for him and she stole his heart! We came away from the shelter with TWO kittens.
"Little Girl" is a strange cat and plays by her own rules. She does not like to be picked up at all and only wants to be petted on her own schedule. As she has aged, she's become more friendly and allows us to pet her more.
When we moved to our current location, we kept "Little Girl" indoors for 2-3 weeks to get her acclimated to the surroundings. When we did let her out, she ran away and was gone for several weeks. We were devasted until the day I spotted her coming over the hill. We rejoiced and decided that from that time forward, we would keep her indoors.
Each summer, when we celebrate her birthday, we wonder if she'll make it through another year. Now as she is approaching her 17th birthday, death is becoming more a reality and we're trying to prepare our daughters for what will happen.
Well, Tuesday night we thought that the time of death had come for "Little Girl". She was sleeping with Anna on Anna's bed and started rolling uncontrollably off the bed. When she would try to stand up she couldn't. It was very frightening for all of us.
I took Anna into the hall and tried to console her. We had prayer and I prayed that God's will be done. If it would be His will to heal the cat then we would want that. If not, I prayed that He would give us strength to handle the cat's death.
We decided that Eddie was would sleep with the cat to keep an eye on her, and Anna would sleep with me. We lay there and talked about death, not only in the feline kingdom, but in the human realm. We had not been in bed long when we heard little paw sounds on the floor and when Anna jumped out of the bed, she found the cat walking into our room. The cat proceeded to jump on our bed, purring. To say the least, we were rejoicing over the healing of that old cat.
I guess we have some more time with "Little Girl", but we realize that the fact that death is closer than it has ever been is real.
It's the same with each of us. Life is present, but Death is on its way. Let's all be ready!!!
It may help if I give a little background on this cat. "Little Girl" as she is sometimes called, is a 16-year-old cat. When Eddie and I were first married, we decided to add to our family by adopting a cat. We went to the local animal shelted and started the process of choosing the "right" cat for us. I wanted a cat that looked like "Hoakie", the cat that I'd left in Louisiana with mom and dad, and I found one! As Eddie was walking by a cage of very small kittens, one little kitten kept reaching out for him and she stole his heart! We came away from the shelter with TWO kittens.
"Little Girl" is a strange cat and plays by her own rules. She does not like to be picked up at all and only wants to be petted on her own schedule. As she has aged, she's become more friendly and allows us to pet her more.
When we moved to our current location, we kept "Little Girl" indoors for 2-3 weeks to get her acclimated to the surroundings. When we did let her out, she ran away and was gone for several weeks. We were devasted until the day I spotted her coming over the hill. We rejoiced and decided that from that time forward, we would keep her indoors.
Each summer, when we celebrate her birthday, we wonder if she'll make it through another year. Now as she is approaching her 17th birthday, death is becoming more a reality and we're trying to prepare our daughters for what will happen.
Well, Tuesday night we thought that the time of death had come for "Little Girl". She was sleeping with Anna on Anna's bed and started rolling uncontrollably off the bed. When she would try to stand up she couldn't. It was very frightening for all of us.
I took Anna into the hall and tried to console her. We had prayer and I prayed that God's will be done. If it would be His will to heal the cat then we would want that. If not, I prayed that He would give us strength to handle the cat's death.
We decided that Eddie was would sleep with the cat to keep an eye on her, and Anna would sleep with me. We lay there and talked about death, not only in the feline kingdom, but in the human realm. We had not been in bed long when we heard little paw sounds on the floor and when Anna jumped out of the bed, she found the cat walking into our room. The cat proceeded to jump on our bed, purring. To say the least, we were rejoicing over the healing of that old cat.
I guess we have some more time with "Little Girl", but we realize that the fact that death is closer than it has ever been is real.
It's the same with each of us. Life is present, but Death is on its way. Let's all be ready!!!
Comments