Why I Attend Church . . .
1. Jesus set the example by being in the Temple on the Sabbath. If it was important enough for Him, the son of God, I think it’s important for His children.
2. My parents took my siblings and me to church every time the doors were open. Many times we were the ones that opened the doors. We learned that “Staying Home” was out of the question unless you had a fever and were throwing up! If we had company visiting, they were invited to go with us or wait until we got home from church to continue our visit. If we were away from home, we found a church to attend.
3. Church is where I hear from God in a very special way. The Sunday School lessons, based on the Bible, give me insight into spiritual truths that direct my steps. The music is a way that I can give my worship to God with my voice. The pastor preaches Biblical truths that can convict, encourage, and help me understand what God wants me to do. I can make a bigger impact on this world through the ministries of the church such as missions, my community, and the world. Going to church fills my spiritual gas tank. I leave encouraged in the Lord and ready to face a new week. I have Christian brothers and sisters to whom I can go for advice, prayer, and encouragement. They love and accept me. Is the church perfect? No, but we are there to learn how to live out Christ’s example.
4. I go to church because of my influence. Eddie and I have two precious daughters that God has loaned us so that we can set an example before them that they will want a relationship with the same God we love. I’ve learned that what’s important to parents will become important to their children. You may send your children to church with relatives or friends, but if you don’t see the importance of attending yourself, your children will one day take on that same attitude. Sending your children to church does not have the same affect as going with them. I’ve seen it played out too many times. Kids are very smart and your actions speak much louder than your words. You only get one chance when it comes to raising your children. What will their priority's be? Will it be sports, education, health, or God? There is nothing wrong with sports, education and being healthy, but when they come before God, they become your God. In one hundred years, the only things that will count will be what we did for God!
5. Going to church is a privilege that God has blessed Americans with. Many around the world cannot attend church because it is outlawed. Many suffer and die because that take the risk to worship Jesus. The Bible says, “To much is given, much will be required.” We will one day stand before God, our judge. I want to hear the words, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.” There may come a day when we will no longer be able to worship in public.
I firmly believe that we are living in the last days. Jesus is coming back for each one us. It may be through death or it may be in the clouds. If you are reading this, you still have time to make that important decision to follow Christ. One day, it will be too late.
I can’t wait until the next time the doors of the church are open. How about you?
-Beth
Comments