Death and Living . . .


(First a note on the painting about. It was painted by a primitive artist, Clementine Hunter, who who lived near Natchitoches, Louisiana where I grew up. I remember, as a child, visiting her little shack beside the old river road. My Aunt Sue wanted to buy one of her paintings and we'd gone with her. I'm not sure how much was paid for the painting but it was probably less the $20.00. I don't think you can touch one for under $5000.00 now. The above painting depicts a funeral in the south.)

This week, as with most weeks, has been a week of death. The exception being that I knew two of those who died, both very unexpected.

Dennis Akin, a former homeschooling father in our community, was on his way home from work when a car, not seeing his motorcycle, ran into him, pushing him into the bath of an oncoming truck. Death can instantly for him. His family's life was instantly changed forever.

I received a call from one of my Sunday School members last night. She could barely talk for crying, but was able to convey the news that her sister had passed away unexpectedly. I'd just seen Dot in May when she came to church to visit her sister, my Sunday School member. I made a point of taking her photo along with her two sister's not knowing it would be the last that was taken of them.

Friday, I attended Dennis' funeral and witnessed God's amazing presence at work in the life of a family that was grieving. This was a scene of the loss of one who was now in the arms of Jesus. There was rejoicing and praising God for His amazing love in their lives. Even though the family's heart was breaking, there was a peace that gave them the strength to stand in front of the casket and worship God with up-stretched hands of praise.

One of the ministers used an analogy of our soul and spirit being like a hand in a glove. When the hand is removed from the glove, the glove is lifeless and a shell. With the hand in it, the glove becomes a moving tool. The body is just a shell, a glove that our spirit and soul occupies. It is not who we are. Who we are will continue to live even when this shell has returned to dust from where it came.

I guess it can all be wrapped up in one word: Relationships! It's why we are and our purpose. The relationships we have with friends and family, our world and it's citizens . . . those are the relationships that are so important and we should nurture, cultivate, and cherish them. Another relationship that surpasses any other is our relationship with our Heavenly Father. He is the reason why we live. We were created in His image to be His children and He, our father.

When our spirit and soul slips out of the glove of this old body, we will finally come face to face with God. It is at the moment we will either hear "Well done, my good and faithful servant. Enter!" or we will hear the sad words "Depart from me. I never knew you."

The amazing thing about God is that He loves us so much that He gives us the freedom to choose whether or not we will love Him and accept His forgiveness, grace, and mercy. He will not force Himself upon us, but patiently allows us to make the choice for ourselves.

Being His child is an amazing life. I trust you've made the choice to be God's child and heir. You will never regret it! Pray for my friends. God is faithful and will be with them!

Comments

Glenda said…
Thanks for your touching post and reminder of the frailty of life. I am so glad we have hope!

I, too, love Clementine Hunter paintings! I have some copies of her pics framed and hanging in my house.
Glenda said…
Thanks for your touching post and reminder of the frailty of life. I am so glad we have hope!

I, too, love Clementine Hunter paintings! I have some copies of her pics framed and hanging in my house.
Good touch to a sad situation. We never know how quickly things can change until it happens to us. I am so thankful for the abiding peace that only comes from our relationship with the Father; all others fall into place when God is first in our lives.

The Godby family was added to our church's prayer blog this week and trust God's peace is flooding the hearts of all the family members.
Beth From Bynum said…
Thanks, Eddie and Glenda for your comments. Thank you for praying for the Godby family, Eddie. Mrs. Ruby seemed to think that Dot had a premonition that she was going to die. When she came to church back in May, she cried the entire service.

Popular posts from this blog

Life is Precious and God is Good!!

Light-bulb Moment . . .

"But . . ."