"It's ALL about WHO?"
It’s All About Who??
Sunday we had the opportunity to visit Huntsville Church of the Nazarene’s morning worship service. The district assembly was being held there, and our church paid our way to go as delegates and stay the entire time! (YEAH)
Right before their new pastor, Scott Lowry, got up to speak, a young lady came forward to sing a special. I’d known this young lady from camp and quizzing days, and she’s now a beautiful, talented teenager.
The music started and immediately I recognized that she would be singing Michael W. Smith’s song, “The Heart of Worship.” I like the song and settled into the comfortable, padded pew in anticipation of being blessed.
That didn’t last long because the singer’s poise and body language immediately told me that she needed some performance and stage presence tutoring! (the musician in me) She put one hand on her hip and rolled her eyes. I knew we were in for trouble when she started the chorus by singing, “I'm coming back to the heart of worship, And it's all about ME, It's all about ME, Jesus.” Before I could pull my lower jaw up so that my mouth would not show the utter look of shock, the singer’s mother walked to where she was and pulled her, protesting, off the stage.
We knew we’d be “had” when Pastor Lowry got up grinning and confessed that he’d planned the whole “performance” for a reason. It was an illustration that no one in that service will ever forget. It’s also a sad commentary on the attitude of most of this world. “It’s ALL about ME!”
We live in a performance and entertainment based society where everything is based on “How” the job is done and not “Why” the job is done. We want excellence in everything and sometimes with that attitude, we forget the “reason” of our existence. Why are we here? What is the meaning of life? Is it all about me, or is it about something or someone else?
Our world is small, boring, and hopeless when all we concentrate on is “ME!” It’s not ALL about ME; it’s ALL ABOUT HIM (God, Our Heavenly Father). He’s the reason we are here. We were created for one purpose and that is to love and worship HIM. When we come to the realization of that fact and we make it “ALL ABOUT HIM”, we are able to really live and enjoy life!!!
"Heart of Worship"
When the music fades
Sunday we had the opportunity to visit Huntsville Church of the Nazarene’s morning worship service. The district assembly was being held there, and our church paid our way to go as delegates and stay the entire time! (YEAH)
Right before their new pastor, Scott Lowry, got up to speak, a young lady came forward to sing a special. I’d known this young lady from camp and quizzing days, and she’s now a beautiful, talented teenager.
The music started and immediately I recognized that she would be singing Michael W. Smith’s song, “The Heart of Worship.” I like the song and settled into the comfortable, padded pew in anticipation of being blessed.
That didn’t last long because the singer’s poise and body language immediately told me that she needed some performance and stage presence tutoring! (the musician in me) She put one hand on her hip and rolled her eyes. I knew we were in for trouble when she started the chorus by singing, “I'm coming back to the heart of worship, And it's all about ME, It's all about ME, Jesus.” Before I could pull my lower jaw up so that my mouth would not show the utter look of shock, the singer’s mother walked to where she was and pulled her, protesting, off the stage.
We knew we’d be “had” when Pastor Lowry got up grinning and confessed that he’d planned the whole “performance” for a reason. It was an illustration that no one in that service will ever forget. It’s also a sad commentary on the attitude of most of this world. “It’s ALL about ME!”
We live in a performance and entertainment based society where everything is based on “How” the job is done and not “Why” the job is done. We want excellence in everything and sometimes with that attitude, we forget the “reason” of our existence. Why are we here? What is the meaning of life? Is it all about me, or is it about something or someone else?
Our world is small, boring, and hopeless when all we concentrate on is “ME!” It’s not ALL about ME; it’s ALL ABOUT HIM (God, Our Heavenly Father). He’s the reason we are here. We were created for one purpose and that is to love and worship HIM. When we come to the realization of that fact and we make it “ALL ABOUT HIM”, we are able to really live and enjoy life!!!
When we put God on the throne of our little Kingdom, He makes our life full, meaningful, and productive. I want my life to be ALL about HIM and not ME!!! I want to be a reflection of my Father’s love and compassion.
Pastor Scott ended his sermon by having Cassandra (the Me singer) come back to the platform to sing the song the CORRECT way! It was a blessing!!
Here are the “REAL” words to the song, “Heart of Worship.”
"Heart of Worship"
When the music fades
All is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless Your heart
I'll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart
I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You,
It's all about You, Jesus
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You,
It's all about You, Jesus
King of endless worth
No one could express
How much You deserve
Though I'm weak and poor
All I have is Yours
Every single breath
I'll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart
I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You,
It's all about You, Jesus
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
And it's all about You,
It's all about You, Jesus
I'm coming back to the heart of worship,
And it's all about You,
It's all about You, Jesus
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
And it's all about You,
It's all about You, Jesus
Comments
Yes, I agree with you about most people thinking only of #1.
God wants to be #1 and requires it of us in our lives. It's a wonderful way to live!!
Thanks for writing!
Beth